Saturday, December 6, 2008

Motherhood is a Marathon

When people talk about "bouncing back" from having a baby (as I did, so many years ago, after having just one) I have to laugh. Out loud. I am, just now, in 2008, bouncing back. Or starting to. From the marathon that started with my first son's birth on July 15, 1997 (yes, in the last century!) and continues to this day.

No, I'm not whining about the gig (another day, another post, perhaps) but I want to remind anyone who's questioning their seeming lack of ambition or ability after becoming a mom (or becoming one again) that they aren't nuts. I remember my manager, Sara, telling me that she knew people who hadn't changed their life a bit after having children, and that she didn't like those people all that much. (At the time, she may have been commiserating with me over being dumped by my agent!)

My son is now 11, my daughter 8 and the surprise twin girls are 3 1/2 -- and only now am I back at work as an actress (for a laugh, check out my imdb page and play Spot The Pregnancy/Birth Hiatuses) and at our really fun site for moms from the first trimester to the fourth, One Hot Mama. We are opening a store (in this economy!) next week, and I literally did not have a spare moment of brain power, or, more importantly, psychic energy to devote to such a venture for the past four years. To be fair, I did have twins on the last go-around, but I reallly feel that people are more willing to cut you slack with multiples. And, more to point, I was more willing to do that for myself.

So whether you've just had a baby and are wondering what comes next, or you are on your fourth and the youngest starts kindergarten in the fall -- pace yourself. Stay the course. Whatever you're doing right now is just where you need to be. If you're truly miserable, change something up. But please, do not beat up on yourself for not doing anything. We're in this for the long haul, and there are no grades. You are the best mother for your child.

Have a great day, and a sleep-filled night!

No comments: