Saturday, November 7, 2009

What Your Baby Really Wants

Just to be with you. Really. Seriouslly. When I gave birth for the first time, I really wished that what my baby wanted was to be with the nanny who hovered over us. But, though she was a lovely soul, he wanted to hear the same heartbeat he'd been nestled underneath for 37 weeks. What made me think of this was a lovely new mother I saw the other day whose baby was in a bucket (okay, it was a carseat/infant carrier, but it's really a plastic bucket) the entire time we were together. That, in and of itself, not so bad, and if baby's asleep, I don't care if he went nighty-night in a Home Depot orange janitor's bucket, he's staying put! But this poor newborn was awake, and the grandmother was compulsively rocking the car seat back and forth on the floor with such vigor I was worried she'd launch the little girlie right into the air.

What most babies do best with is quiet, gentle movement. All that jiggling and rocking is tiresome for both of you!

1 comment:

Lauren Wayne said...

Oh, I so agree. I love the gentle bouncing, but when the baby is on you, not in one of those stupid buckets. (Don't get me started on the buckets...)

It's so funny, when our son was a newborn, we never.stopped.bouncing. I found myself doing it even when I wasn't holding him and had to force myself to stop! :)